Thursday, August 13, 2009

Summer Notebook, Part 4 (there really are nice people out there)

Take a look at this Fiestaware coffee pot. At first glance you might think it is the color Tangerine. The more trained eye may notice this style isn't quite like any you have seen at Macy's or the Fiesta Outlet store. That's because this particular piece was only made from 1936-1956. This color is the original Fiesta red (but it looks kinda orange, right?). This color was only produced until 1943. Production halted due to the need for uranium for the war. So, this piece dates from 1936-1943. Pretty cool, huh? (I thought so before I went to China and saw pitchers from the Tang Dynasty ... but that's another story).

Isn't it beautiful?

So, given my obsession with Fiesta, I'm VERY much in love with this coffee pot. It has a flaw -- a piece broke off the lid and was glued back on. But I don't care about that at all!
A very sweet lady, Lynn, who was a coworker for a while brought this to me at work one day. She and I had had a few conversations about Fiestaware and she told me about her collection made up of mostly the "old" stuff. Lynn spontaneously announced to me that she was going to bring a piece to me. She knew the three colors I collect and I suppose she decided this piece would go well with them. Upon her presentation to me, I asked her if she knew what she was giving me ... it is such a valuable piece. She explained that she knew and just wanted to give it to someone who would love it and give it a good home. You can see in the picture in the post below that the coffee pot has a nice spot on the middle shelf of the corner cabinet.
Thank you, Lynn, from the bottom of my heart. It was such a sweet gesture and I will cherish this coffee pot forever!! It is a constant reminder in my house that there are good people out there in the world. We just need to be friendly and we will find them!

No comments:

Post a Comment